Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sleeping

For about a week, Paige has been sleeping in her new bed, a toddler bed. As is usual, she loves to get out of bed and walk around. Comparing frustrations, I feel as though I get less upset with Paige than I did with Micah in the crib-to-bed transfer. Either I'm becoming more patient or Paige is just easier to deal with. Maybe neither. Maybe I've just found a better way of teaching Paige about using the bed. In any case, it's going pretty well. Some nights are better than others, but that is to be expected.

Continuing on the subject of sleep, Micah is officially not required to take naps. A few weeks ago, I was having a hard time getting him to take his naps. Since then, I figured he is at that age where he really doesn't need to nap anymore. So, instead of sleeping after lunch, (after I put the other two kids down) I give Micah Classroom Time. For half an hour, I teach him things he should learn prior to enrolling in Kindergarten. One day, it's numbers. The next day, letters. Another day, shapes, etc. After that, he is allowed to play quietly in his room while I (try) to get stuff done. The past couple of days, however, he has snuggled in bed of his own free choice and slept. I try not to let him sleep for too long, though, or it will not be easy for him to bed down at night. If he does decide to take a nap (of which I do not object,) he gets Classroom Time after. Pretty soon, we will buy some safety scissors and have him practice cutting paper. Ooo, scary!

2 comments:

LittleBrownFamily said...

I'm doing the same thing with Adam, except he stopped napping about 9 months ago (and he still crashes every now and then). Just recently I started doing classroom time with him while the others are sleeping, except I try to do four things. 10 min with letters, then a hands-on craft (today I taught him to use scissors-that's all we did. Cut a paper up. Last week we did finger paint and play-do) then 10 minutes with numbers and then I sit down and we read a couple of books of his choice. I wish I started this earlier - he's thriving! Most days I don't get them all in, but that's okay.
Good luck with Micah!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I like the way you do your Classroom Time. I think Micah would be more focused if I taught him a few different things every day, several minutes of one subject. He gets easily distracted after awhile of trying to learn one thing. It gets frustrating for the both of us. I do use play-dough and crayons for a "creativity" lesson. I'm a little scared about using finger paint. :) On laundry day, I have Micah help me, and he learns about sorting and fine motor skills as he folds the towels and rags. I can't wait until the kids can help me with more chores. :)