Wednesday, April 13, 2011

STAND Fit for 5K

Last Saturday, (as I'm sure some of you may know) Chris and I ran our second 5K. It was surprising. Chris ran it in 40:53, which is about 3 minutes faster than his last race. That is not what was surprising. I knew he would improve his time.
 Chris crossing the finish line.

What was unexpected was my time, 26:42. That is also 3 minutes faster than my last time. As I was running, it didn't seem as though I was going any faster. I actually thought I was going slower because of the several hills.
Me crossing the finish line. Steven (my bro-in-law) was only 2 seconds behind me.

This race was a pace race. When I registered, I had to guess what I thought my time would be. I decided to challenge myself and write down 29:00, which is about 40 seconds faster than my last time. Whoever finished in the time closest to the one he or she guessed won. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when I ran much faster than I thought I would. Even though I didn't go home with a medal or donuts (yes, they were giving out donuts as prizes), I was happy about my accomplishment that day.
The race crew (starting left): Katie, me, Steven, Paul, and Chris

I am so proud of Chris for beating his last time and finishing the race strong. He's come a long way and has accomplished a great deal. Losing 57 pounds is not easy. I want to be there for him all the way.
 Chris and Paul (his running mentor and friend)

My girls and I after the race.

1 comment:

e. said...

You guys are an inspiration to a ton of people, including me! Chris you really do look amazing. Keep it up!